The National Youth Jazz Collective [NYJC] supports the creative & educational needs of the young jazz musician, focusing on small group improvisation within a pathway of progression from beginners to young professionals.
We do this by
• Promoting an age-appropriate methodology for jazz education that fosters the skills needed for playing jazz in small groups;
• Running a weeklong National Youth Jazz Summer School, open to all-comers through a national audition tour of regional centres, plus a week-long feeder course for auditionees with more limited jazz knowledge and experience;
• Supporting a rolling programme of regional activities for young jazz musicians across England to develop their skills, creativity and passion for improvised music;
• Passing on best practice in education for musicianship through skill development of national and regional music leaders;
• Networking alumni members to stimulate their collective endeavors as young adults and increase the profile of jazz as a valuable musical expression for young people;
• Encouraging a diverse and broad-ranging repertoire of musical works that champions the often-forgotten eclectic influences of UK jazz’s past century;
• Engaging in culturally eclectic collaborative projects where young people and organisations share and develop their capabilities in improvisation and composition;
• Conducting gender focused work to encourage more female instrumentalists to become leading exponents of the jazz idiom
• Offering online services including resources for teaching and learning, exemplary youth jazz performances, signposting information, research and networking.
• Promoting young jazz performers in a broad range of venues (not just music) maximizing NYJCs reach to a wider participatory and listening audience.
• Supporting a dedicated social media network.
Founder and Artistic Director: Issie Barratt
Executive Director: Andy Thornton
Programme Manager: Ron Warshow
Finance Manager: Charity Accounting Services
Curriculum Manager: Mick Foster
Video and online resources producer: Darren Michael
Website Manager: Jamie Gibbons
Board of Trustees
Mike Gibbons (Chair)
Andrew Jermey Boys